'90 325 ic driver door body repair

my apologies if this is a re-post. i'm not sure my 1st post was properly

posted.
    i side-swiped a fire hydrant and need to replace the driver's side
door. the damage is to the lower door section and is limited to exterior

only. i've been told it can be banged out and then  body filler and
new paint used to smooth the surface for approx. $450. but i'm leery of
"bondo" and/or body filler....should i be?? opinions, please.
    i think finding a used door might be a longer lasting , better job
and value alternative...  but then how much will door installation cost
- -
including window, electric, upholstry, etc.?? will the labor charges be
huge??
suggestions  where to find a used door? i'm in the greater nyc metro
area.
    advice and comments on body work are appreciated. thanks.
tim estin