dead 535i

Do you have th Bentley manual.
I had a similar problem recently.  I replace the computer but that did
not help.  I checked if the fuel was getting there and it was.  The only
thing I did not have was spark.   I replaced coil wires and plugs but it
did not help.

The one thing to check is the Engine SPeed Sensor(ESS) and Engine
Reference Sensor(ECS).  In my 533i they are the same part but sense
different things on the flywheel.  I believe one of them is still on
your car but the other has been replaced by a spark sensor.

Before you do anything, go under the hood and check all the connections
you can see to make sure there are no loose wires.

Hope this helps
Toan