535 stuff

Re dead 535:
I have an 89 535 that exhibited similar problems of dying and refusing to
start.  It had been showing occasional reluctance to rev above 4k or so, and
there had been occasional startin issues.

The problem turned out to be an RPM sensor, basically a cable that attaches to
the bell housing.  It had been rubbing against the water pump and had become
badly frayed, causing erratic signals to be sent to the DME about what the
engine was doing.  The fix cost about $150 P&L.

I've also had the dying behavior act up a while back due to a bad battery
ground wire.  It attached to a bolt welded into the front wall under the back
seat (near the battery itself).  The connection was loose and sparking when I
discovered it.  You might check the batteyr cables themselves when you're back
there for integrity as well.

Re: new 535:
Problems can include a leaky head gasket (is there coolant on the ground after
the car is parked?), front suspension wobbles when driving 45-55mph (probably
a worn bushing), a/c components failure.  The electric components of the first
two years of the e34s (89-90) seems a little touchy, and make sure all things
electric work.

With some notable exceptions,  repairs are fairly reasonable ($200-300) on
this car and it's lotsa fun to drive.  Good luck.

Blake
89 535 i(s) w/stuff
93 525 i  stock