1986 E28 M535 - side mirror motors

Rosemary:

I have an '85 528e, and it has been my experience that the problem lies not
with the motor(s) but with the switches that control them.

One switch directs control to one or the other motor, and the other controls
the direction the mirror is tilted.  If one motor seems ok and the other not, I
would suspect the former switch.

Aggressive toggling of the switches apparently cleans off the contacts well
enough to have made this problem, when it has arisen for me, go away for
the past 200K+ miles.

Larry Swain