RE: PIAA Bulbs ( I had some)

I bought the PIAA for my E36 fog lights.  They were the 55w crystal Ion
ones.  The main trouble was they only came in the H3 type bulb and the
E36 fog lights take a H1.  Anyway, seeing as I knew the guy that ran the
parts store he said to try them out and if they don't work, to bring
them back.

I had to widen the entrance hole with a dremel to make the H3's fit.
Another consideration is the H3 is a shorter bulb than the H1, and as
such, most likely change the focusing patten of the projected beam.  I
placed them in and it was astounding how much light they projected over
the generic 55w H1's  A person could pretty much drive with just these
lights alone.  I think we all agree that the Stock E36 fog lights are
pretty much useless, OK IMHO.  But these PIAA's really rocked  The ditch
was lit wider than before and the range of road in front of the car was
easily illuminated by more than 30 feet from standard.

OK, I do have to admit one thing, These 55w PIAA crystal IONs put out so
much light, I was concerned how this would affect oncoming traffic. I
studied the car on a deserted road way at night.  I walked away from the
car with the lights on and looked at the car at the approximate level of
an oncoming car.  These lights were too bright!  It may have been the
short bulb dispersion I spoke of earlier for the short H3 does not place
the filiment in the diffuser pocket as a longer H1 would.  Regardless I
took these bulbs back to the store for I thought it may be too rude to
drive with these lights, good as they where.

Now thinking about it, I think I would like them back for I don't drive
with my fog lights in the city (please lets not start a thread here) and
the times when I do use them are during Our great Canadian snow storms
with zero visability due to driving snow and wind blown snow.  And the
Amber light from a clear lens is effective with out looking shen-wan.

Cost, about $85.00 cdn for a pair.

The PIAA's that I tried were definitly brighter and projected further
down the road than the standard generic H1 bulb.

Just my findings, regular waivers apply....

maroon baboon
92/325i

End of bmw-digest V9 #960