Harmon Kardon System

Hey Folks,

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my new M3 (99 Estoril Blue, Modena
Natur).  In fact, it's not even built yet.  I ordered it through a Euro
Delivery program based out of NJ and am scheduled to take delivery in
Munich in Late March.  Anyhow, I am seriously considering bypassing the
stock Harmon Kardon system and getting an after-market system.  Seeing
as how the HK costs about $1k, I figure that I could spend about that
much on an after-market system and do much better.  What are some of
your thoughts on this?  I have been under the impression that the audio
system and the BMW anti-theft system are closely linked and that it is
extremely delicate if infeasible to have another non-stock system put in
place.  Do any of you have experience with this?  If so, what can you
recommend for about a grand.  I really have a problem with spending that
kind of money on a mediocre system.

Thanks,

Keithan