<ALL> Help Me Get Into Drivers Schools

I've got an interesting problem that I haven't seen discussed here before so
I thought I'd ask as drivers schools are just around the corner.  I'm an
average guy by most standards - 6' 1", 185lbs - but my height is obtained
with one of the world' longest torsos (or so it seems) and short legs.  When
I was shopping for an E36 M3, I had OK headroom but I had to pull the seat
fairly far forward, causing my thighs to rub the bottom of the steering
wheel.  Very bad.  Ultimately I purchased an E39 six speed which solved both
problems, thanks to slightly more headroom (comfort seats) and a tilt wheel.
The problem, if you haven't figured it out already is that there is no way
I'm gonna fit in this sucker with a helmet on - there's simply not enough
headroom.  I'm not crazy about replacing the seat with an aftermarket job
since the E39 serves as my daily driver and I'm not convinced I'll find
anything that sits substantially lower.  Besides, the E39 becomes my SO's
ride when I take delivery on the M5 and she won't "take delivery" on her car
with an aftermarket seat in it!  So I'm thinking about buying a beater
solely for drivers schools, maybe an E30 M3?  Obviously headroom is Job One,
but a car with tilt wheel may also be needed.  What car should I be looking
at?  On a related note, what is the minimum headroom I should strive for
with a *helmet on*?  I intuitively know that zero headroom is unsafe, but
beyond that I'm clueless.

TIA!

Ray Vacha
97 E39 540i 6 Speed "ZEIT"