why are crusin lights illegal???

>Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:43:34 EST
>From: VeeDubJeff@domain.elided
>Subject: Why Are Cruisin Lights Illegal?!?!?!?!
>
>This question pertains to California laws but I believe most, if not all other
>states don't allow the use of "Cruisin Lights".
>
>Cruisin Lights are little tinny bulbs that you usually drill stick in your
>headlights so they light them up with a color (green, blue, purple, etc).
>They don't "shine" off a beam of colored light, they just make your headlights
>"glow" if you look at them.  Definately not dangerous or annoying to anybody.
>They are not bright at all, and can't blind anybody.
>
>I have a set hiding behind my grill on my 86 325es.  I like the look, so do
>all my friends.  It gives my grill a purple tint to it.  Again, it does not
>SHINE off, just makes the front "glow" a little bit.
>
>I've been pulled over TWICE for them.  Both times the cop let me go w/out a
>ticket but they told me to take them out.  I didn't feel the need to question
>their authority on WHY they are illegal.  I know they are, but WHY!??!?!?!
>
>I'd like to believe that I am pretty understanding of our laws.  I understand
>why loud exhaust is illegal, it's damn annoying!  That's why I don't have
>exhaust like that.  I can see why bright green foglights or whatever can get
>you introuble, they can blind you if they're behind you.  But you can't even
>see these lights on my car unless you stand right in front of it and actually
>LOOK at the car.
>
>They're hidden behind my grill.  You can't see the bulbs at all.. just the
>purple glow they give off.
>So can anybody give me a suggestion on why they are illegal?  I'm not out to
>change the law... I'll live with it,  but I'm like a little kid, always
>wondering WHY?
>
>TIA,
>Jeff Patch
>86 325es - K&N, 17" giovanna/dunlop, Illegal Purple Cruisin Lights (oh no!
>Not purple lights!)
>
>------------------------------

Jeff

They are illegal because they have the potential to distract other drivers
and cause an accident.  Only white or amber  (yellow) lights may be
illuminated to the front of a vehicle in California.

Now I know you are thinking, "well MY lights aren't that bright...you can't
even see them unless you are standing in front of the car and  looking...I
said that in my post..."

Well my retort to that statement would be, if you have been pulled over
twice for them, you CAN see them and the potential for driver distraction
does exist.

As for the brightness issue, maybe you can tell me...at what wattage should
such decorative lamps be legal?  Then explain to me how an officer should
know what wattage YOUR lights are?  Then tell me just how much grace should
be given if a light is higher wattage than what is considered legal.  Then
tell me which colors should be legal.  Then tell me if I should let someone
off because they are color blind and didn't REALIZE their lights were
actually red and blue...

Do you see where I am going with this?  I hope so.  The legislators were
keeping it simple when they wrote the law.  White or amber. Covers fog
lights, headlights turn signals, etc.

My advice is to just deal with it.  Consider yourself lucky that you
haven't gotten the ticket...yet.  But that luck will run out, and it might
not be just a "fixit ticket".

Good luck

John