RE: Oil Change Interval & Synthetics

Ron writes:
>If you have not been keeping up, BMW ain't the only auto
>manufacturer to dispose of this 3000 mile or die mentality.
>Check out an owners manual for a new Mercedes or
>Porsche...on at least one of those, if I recall, you will see
>a 15,000 mile interval (using approved synthetics)
>recommendation.

Hi Digestimates :)

FWIW, I called up Mobil the other day to see how often they recommend
changing the oil if using Mobil 1. He asked me what type of car I have
(86 535i) and he said "follow the Manufacturers guidelines or every 6
months".

I said to him "That means I'd be using as much oil as I am now",  (Oil
Change every 5K with regular oil) "Mobil 1 is a  bit expensive, and
being synthetic I was hoping to be able to extend the frequency to
justify the additional cost of Mobil 1, while still getting good engine
protection".  He said: "Well, what I'd do is follow the manufacturers
guidelines, plus 5000km".

This means I'll be doing one oil change a year, unless I do some big
trips. That's what I'll be sticking to, unless someone offers a better
reason.  I think that the better protection offered by Synthetics should
mean you can extend the interval a bit.  But then again, what would I
know?.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Richard
74 3.0S (Since New!)