Possible BMW purchase, opinions needed

Hi,
I am a current Audi owner, but am new to BMW's, and am looking for some info
on a '89 325i I am looking to buy. Here are the particulars:

88k
5 sp
white ext/ tan int
all opts (including computer)
Asking price is $5300

The body is in excellent condition, with no visible rust or dings. Car has
had all BMW recommended service, and has been done by a local BMW dealer. I
am looking to have the car checked out mechanically before the purchase, and
would like to know what in particular are problem areas for this model so
they can be looked at closely. Also, the woman mentioned the car was
horrible in the snow. It did have wider than stock tires in bigger rims, so
I figured this may be part of the problem. With a good set of snows
(Hakka's, Blizzaks, etc), how good (bad) are these cars in the snow? Any
other opinions / comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks. (BTW, I am not
yet subscribed to the list, so please respond directly to the address
below.)

Craig Niederst
niederst@domain.elided