Re: Regular oil changes

Iv'e been driving a 533i since 1985 and always changed the oil around 3,000
even  if I  had done several driving schools.  It now has 241,000 and, for the
last 80 or 90k it has been 95% highway miles so I backed off to changing when
the oil light comes on (about 4500). Last valve adjustment I noticed the
galleys had become dirty where they were always clean before.  The engine is
very strong but my mechanic noticed a puff of white smoke sometimes when he
started it after sitting overnight. Diagnosis - a worn valve guide or two,
certainly expected after 241K.  I had a chance to buy a 90 325is from Germany
with about 50K and three oil changes done by the German dealer. No thanks when
there are so many Bimmers with better care available. The first thing I
learned about cars from an expert mechanic was an oil change was the cheapest
and best maintenance you can do yourself. IMHO YMMV.
Btw this car will be for sale come March. Stay tuned!
Fred Callender
95 M3
84 533i
99 528iT coming