heater questions for e36 and e34

on wife's '92 325i, she is loosing a small bit of coolant. There is a faint
smell of coolant in the cabin when the heat was on. Where are the first
places to check? On my 535 the plastic pipe connecting the heater core was
cracked. Does the e36 have a similar piece? How difficult is it to get to?

on my '90 535i, the heater blower switch seems to be intermittently faulty.
the illumination behind the fan speed switch and the temp. controls is out,
the fan works on "4" and on the slower speeds if you start at "4" and then
turn it down. I replaced a resistor pack on the 325i when it only worked on
"4". but it did not work on the slower speeds. Does this have a similar
piece? Does anyone know where it is?

As you can tell I'm trying to avoid unnecessary trips into the bowels of
the dash that may set free the rattle and squeak monsters.

Thanks,

Mike Sterry '92 325i,90 535i, just keeping them going.