Ford Volvo Buyout

In a message dated 01/29/99 3:29:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: ABARTH037@domain.elided
 Subject: Re:Ford buys Volvo

 This sucks!  It seems like in 20 years all we'll have to choose from is Ford,
 Chevy, Dodge, VW, Fiat, and BMW (please don't sell out).  Consolidation is
 starting to suck! <SNIP,SNIP,SNIP>

 Nathan
 85 535i
 76 Lancia Scorpion (FIAT PRODUCT) >>

Nathan:

I hate this car company merger fever too, but it seems like an unfortunate
must for survival these days. Just be thankful it was Ford instead of GM that
bought Volvo. If Jaguar is any example, Ford knows how to hand over cash and
technology while keeping its "Crown Victoria" philosophies to itself.

This stands in marked contrast to GM's trashing of the other great Swedish
marque: Saab. Saab, once a builder of great automobiles with true character,
now builds rebadged Opels with "character" added as a marketing scheme.  The
true character has been replaced with a fake character generated by GM's
marketing people. Now we have the 9-3 instead of the trusty 900 because "3"
allows Saab to borrow some BMW panache -- they think.  What results are cars
that are less satisfying to drive and own, and no longer appeal to the
enthusiast group that kept Saab going during the tough times.

The verdict isn't in yet on what will happen to Mercedes Benz now that
Chrysler will have some say. And it's safe to say I won't be trading my old M-
B wagon until I'm sure everything's gonna be alright!

Lucky for all of us, BMW seems to be viable enough to survive without being
taken over. And the Quandt family (majority shareholders) seems to be fighting
any attempts to make our beloved maker of Bimmers into "GM's Premium Upscale
Sport Luxury Brand". Go Quandts, Go!

Len Johnson
'94 325i
'85 325e (RIP)
'94 MB E320 Estate (Pre-Daimler-Chrysler!)