Warped rotors

[admin note: this posting passed review, but was delayed a day or so
because all hell is breaking lose here at work. i actually have two staff
members working for me now, with a third reporting shortly... and we may
have a customer or two soon... rpw]

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>So think about going out and driving the car hard and then see if it get=
better =

the next day. If it does- great. If it doesn't then all you did was beat =
up

rotors you will replace anyway. =

steve =

Steve, I agree, if you go out and bake your rotors, sometimes you can mak=
them stop squeeking
or even fix the warping.   Here is what happen to me at the track:
A reputable garage, made one fatal mistake when putting the whees  back o=
the car for a repair.

When they cranked the lugs like a ape , by just using the impact driver. =
=

Now , under normal conditons.
no problem, after 3 hot laps at Laguna, man the brakes were shaking like
1906.

in pullling off the tire to check for warping, It took about 200 ft lbs o=
several bolts and about 90 on others.
after retightening, and several really hard laps, they straightened and
never did the warp dance again.
I had superheated the rotors and the balance tension must have helped in
straightening the rotors back out

Check your lugs, make sure the tire guys dont over tighten or uneven =

tighten the lugs.  =

Also, My take on laguna, Sears,  and buttonwillow as far as brakes goes.

Laguna.   Hard on brakes , as all the hairpins are at the end of a decent=

Sears.   Hard on tires, as all the hairpins are up hill or neutral
Buttonwillow. Hard on everything, as you can hit 130 on the long straight=

and then pull some g's at 100 thru a banked turn, just to romp on the
brakes to make the magic mountain chicane.    the main straight is fast
with a hard right at the end.

Mark. Kibort
<