DTM & Touring Cars

I was under the impression that the DTM fell apart a couple of year back
because Mercedes entered, bent the rules and won everything in site, so
the other manufacturers (Opel and BMW) pulled out, so the sponsors left
as well. Super-Touring is the replacement I think!?

In the UK we just call it 'Touring Cars'  - The rules are very specific,
but it's basically highly tuned 2-litre race cars with a basis on the
road cars.

It's known to be by far the closest racing outside one-mark
championships. Nigel Mansell keeps trying to drive other racers off
(B@st@rd), but he's not the only one. There IS a 'no-contact' rule, but
at over 150 MPH a couple of inches behind a car, even the best drivers
rub wheels, pull bumpers off etc. Great fun to watch!

DON'T think of it as Formula one though - Races are won by people from
virtually every team, not just one or two. There's LOADS of overtaking
and there's a 'privateers' championship for non-works supported cars.

I'll be going to at least one of the meetings at Thruxton this year.

Tchuess!
Adrian