M3 exhaust upgrade question (E36)

I have a question I hope you all can answer for me.  I recently posted
that someone was offering me an M3 exhaust with DTM tips for $300 and
got many replies.  Most seemed to say not to do the upgrade and that It
would not have much of an improvement on the performance of the car.  So
I have decided to get sharked instead!!  But I would like to know why so
many of you do that upgrade then?  Is it just so it sounds cool or to
make the car look like an M3?  I don't care much for making my car look
like an M3 but I do want any upgrades I make to improve the performance
of the car in some way.  This being the case is there another type of
exhaust THAT IS NOT LOUD that I could purchase for around the same price
as an M3 exhaust?  Any reccomendations?  TIA!

Manul Paredes
95 325i x-ed
L.A. Chapt BMWCCA