SI indicator snafu(?)

Hey folks- Got a bit of weirdness on my SI indicator.  (85 325e) The word
"INSPECTION"
is lit up, but the little red rectangles are not. (nope- not one!) Any ideas
here? Is my motor about to blow up, or is it another little electrical snafu
in my dashboard? (not the first)
    BTW- I want to thank this digest and all its members. Up to this point,
everything I have asked in all my BMW naivete has been given an overwhelming
response. (except my plea for an inexpensive es/is e30 front spoiler which I
didn't really expect) Despite the recent unpleasantry, this Bimmerhead has
gotten A LOT out of this forum, and is very appreciative.
PEACE- Bil Powell  aka WyldBil 325@domain.elided