<E30> AC unit

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:19:08 -0800
> From: "Jeff Roberts" <jroberts@domain.elided>
> Subject: E30 Engine Upgrade
>
> I have tried to post the following 5 times without any luck. I wonder where
> it's been showing up?
>
> I have been planning a new engine for my '88 325is for a while (like 3 years
> but that's another story). I was actually getting ready to yank the motor
> when I realized I would probably have to disconnect the air conditioning
> system. Where I live (British Columbia, Canada) we cannot refill a freon

Question:  Why would you even need AC in BC.  I live an hour south and I
have
           never need to even use the AC.

> system but instead must upgrade to the new R130 (?) refrigerant. I checked
> with my nearest dealer and was told $1040 for a new compressor and another
> $385 for a conversion kit (all prices in tiny little Canadian dollars). This
> little addition bumped the price of my engine job up way too high.
>
> Anyone have any other ideas, parts sources, alternative compressors.

Idea:  Leave the pump in there car connected to the AC system.  Detach
it from
       the motor and move it out the way.

2nd Idea:  Do not know how feisable this one is but you could check on
it or
       maybe one of the more knowledgable members of the list could
enlighten
       you as to the possibility and that is:

       Get a knew compressor and what ever else you need from a wrecking
yard
       that is already compliant with the regulations in your area.

> I am also keen to hear from anyone who has built a high performance 2.5 or
> 2.7 engine.
>
> thanks

Do not really know all that much about what one should do to go about
building
the engine for this car but I have built a few 1/4 milers years ago.  I
would
suggest you look for things you can do without taking the value cover
off.

   K & N Cone filter
   TMS JC chip
   Large throttle bore

   Tune headers
   Turbo or Super charging   (both are hard on you engine)

Thats about all I know of that would just bolt on.  Now what would you
do if
you had the engine in peices waiting to be put back together.

   You could go full tilt and do things like:

	forged aluminum rods
        forged higher compression pistons.
	blueprint and balancing
	Cam

Always thought it would nice to have a dual overhead cam setup.  There
was a speed
shop were I grew up that had a sign on the wall that went like this:

	"Speed Costs How Fast Do You Want To Go?"

You can do almost anything if your pockets are deep enough.

Check out http://www.turnermotorsport.com

They have all sorts of parts to make your car go faster.

NOTE: To digest readers about an earlier post by and that is I stand
corrected on my misspelling of the aconym for the Ben Laiws Short
Shifter.
It was right as I hit the send button that I noticed it was wrong but
I thank everyone who pointed that fact out to me.

 Mark Porath                    89 325is (current project)
 Society Of Free Tinkers        84 318i  (very reliable)
 Mt. Vernon, Washington USA     99 Mazda B2500