E30 Engine Upgrade

I have tried to post the following 5 times without any luck. I wonder where
it's been showing up?

I have been planning a new engine for my '88 325is for a while (like 3 years
but that's another story). I was actually getting ready to yank the motor
when I realized I would probably have to disconnect the air conditioning
system. Where I live (British Columbia, Canada) we cannot refill a freon
system but instead must upgrade to the new R130 (?) refrigerant. I checked
with my nearest dealer and was told $1040 for a new compressor and another
$385 for a conversion kit (all prices in tiny little Canadian dollars). This
little addition bumped the price of my engine job up way too high.

Anyone have any other ideas, parts sources, alternative compressors.

I am also keen to hear from anyone who has built a high performance 2.5 or
2.7 engine.

thanks

Jeff Roberts
'88 325is w Dinan Stage IV suspension, wants more HP
'68 2002 race car - needs new owner