Re: <E28> What made M5 Handle (Part 2)

Part 2. Continued....

> >9.  Carry a bag of sand in the boot if your going on a fast country
> >trip, especially if it's wet - These cars are light in the back.
>
> With weight distribution nearly 50/50 (according to the factory
> published
> materials), I don't feel they are THAT light in the back.  Sand bags
> for
> snow and ice, maybe, but not for roads that are just wet.

Snow, Ice and Driving Fast.  Even for a weight distribution of 50/50
which the E28's don't have, it's a good idea. I can tell you a true
story about someone who had a sheep run out in front of them at 160km/h
(100mph).  The animal rolled under the car, the car bounced from one
side of the road to the other, (This is where you either catch it or
die) he caught it and the car bounced back to the other side of the
road, where he caught it again.  Try that without a couple of bags of
sand in the back...

> >#1.  Fit 225/50/16 Front, 245/45/16 Rear if you like Track Events or
> >Fast Mountain Roads.
>
> Again, more understeer.

Well, not completely.  The firmer shocks at the back tend to neutralise
this a bit.
But the point is to make it a safe car to drive fast in the wet, on
public roads.

> (Plus 2/3 upgrade?  This needs clarification.

Yes, sorry about that, Plus 2 is the 225/50/16 as you know, but a
235/245 on the rear is somewhere in the middle. I couldn't call it a
Plus 3 because it isn't.

> Personally, I like my car's handling to be more neutral.
> Then I can induce a little oversteer or understeer by playing with the
>
> throttle.  This way the balance can be enjoyed.  I highly recommend
> changing both the front and rear sway bars with stiffer adjustable
> bars.
> The adjustments are used to fine-tune the balance.  Then you can set
> up
> a little more understeer for the track, and a little more oversteer
> for
> autocrosses.  Neutral for the streets.  A little understeer for snow
> and
> ice.

Yes, This sounds good if you use your car for other things.  I prefer to
keep the rear end firmly attached because the E28 does have a nasty
little bite.  On the way to work one wet morning I saw a guy with a 5
Wrapped around a telegraph pole.  It had only just happened and the pole
was pushed 1 foot into his side of the car exactly where the dashboard
met  the door.  Fortunately the speed limit on the road was 80km/h so he
was probably only doing 70 when he hit it.  He was okay, just looking
around wondering what had happened... and wondering how the hell to get
out.  I called up the Highway Patrol to find out about it because I had
a 5 and knew about it's tendency in the wet, the Officer said to me he
was just going a little quick up the hill...  I've had the back of my 5
come out on me once when I had 225/50/16's all around, only doing 70km/h
at the time, but the road was damp and the bend was off camber with a
few slight bumps, just enough to unstick the back.  This 'free' lesson
bought home to me just how big a problem it is in unusual conditions.
Get the book above.

> So in keeping with your "flame war" theme, I think your ideas suck!
> (Or in
> more friendly language, your set-ups are not for me.)

> Scott Miller
> Golden Gate Chapter

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. : )  Don't knock it till you try it Scott.  Of
course the other benefits are low cost, because your not replacing the
Springs or Rear Sway Bar, and it offers a beautifully refined ride, just
like a BMW should be: Firm for fast driving and good control, yet
compliant and refined around town.  If I built another five I'd do it
exactly the same, would you?.

Thanks for your good suggestions.  It sounds like a nice setup. Although
the Dinan Stage 3 would be too firm for me, especially on  town roads
with lots of patched up potholes, etc.
Cheers,
Richard
74 3.0S (Since New!)
86 535i
This info and more available at Richard Nott's BMW Database:
http://www.gis.nsw.gov.au/staff/rnott/bmw/bmw.html