Re: bmw-digest V9 #918

In a message dated 01/27/99 5:22:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:40:31 +0100
 From: Simon Kaluza <simonk@domain.elided>
 Subject: <E36> Climate Control front panel

 Hi

 Does anybody know how to remove front panel of climate control (the old one
 with rotating knobs)?
 I need to replace a bulb.

 Regards

 Simon >>

Simon:
Watch out, man! On my dearly departed '85 325e, I set myself back a couple
hundred bucks doing this job.
If I remember from a year ago when I botched this job, the climate control on
that car is removed by pulling the slider switches and knobs out, then
unscrewing two screws recessed under the climate controls directly above the
depression in the center console where you probably put your sunglasses.
(You'll need a short phillips driver.) The control panel then just pulls
out... That seemed easy enough.
But when you pull the control panel out, be sure not to stretch or unhook the
rubber band that attaches the control to the fire wall. Doing so, I found out,
snaps the cables right off the control unit! Fixing that runs into time and
money!
Good luck.
Len Johnson
'94 325i