bonging when temp drops - not what you think

The subject of why the OBC "bongs" when the temp
is below 38 or so degrees has been beaten to
death, but I have a tangentially-related question.

I have a '95 M3 w/ OBC, and when it's started in
cold weather the temperature flashes a few times
but there's no "bonging" sound.

I guess the PO of my car disabled the bong (is
this even possible?) and I'd like to know how to
re-enable it, as my car (stock tires) is a
tobaggan if a single crystalized water molecule is
within 1 mile. Also, I just like the "bong" sound.
TIA.

Andy '95 M3 no bong