RE: BMW 750/850 reliability?

>         I am thinking about a 1989-1990 BMW 740/750 or 840/850.  My
> biggest question concerns the V12 engine.  Is it reliable, and how
> expensive is the maintenance/parts compared to the V8?  I do plan on
> performing some maintenance myself, but leaving major work to the
> dealer.

I have a V12 (1989 750iL), and given the choice between the V12 and V8, I
would again choose the V12. This said, they require a lot of
maintenance---mind you, the V12 mechanically is not the issue, it's the
supporting parts. In the first six months of usage, my car required fan
belts, and that's pretty much it. I'm now a year into owning the car, and
two coolant hoses, one water pump, a set of transmission mounts, a set of
strut-rod bushings, and a fuel pump later, I'm much poorer. There are two of
everything on the car, and although that gives some redundancy (and safety,
a big reason for my owning this car), it also can drain your wallet twice as
fast. Just think of it this way: You're buying an $80K car for 15$, but you
still have to pay maintenance on an $80K car.

>         Also, are there any shortcomings with these models or common
> complaints?  How sporty are they?  I know they are designed more for
> luxury than the 3-series and 5-series, but I like to get some
> fun out of
> my cars as well.

Sporty would not really describe a stock 750, but properly setup they can be
quite fun. Suspension is a big factor, and I'm including wheels in this.

>         My current commute to work is ~60 miles a day, about half of
> which is Highway, half 2-lane curvy road.  I know these models have a
> decent amount of power, but how well (or poorly) do they
> corner and pass
> other cars?

Getting to 60 can be a little slow (1st tops at 50 MPH), but once there
nothing can touch a 750 (OK, almost nothing). The gear ratios must be the
engineers' idea for improved fuel economy (19 HWY, 14 mixed for me). My car
rarely rises above 2000 RPM unless I'm in a hurry. I think I remember
2000-2200 RPM being 70-75 MPH. Even so, you won't have much problem with
Mustangs, etc. As for curves, it's not a light car, but some suspension
modifications will go a long way.

James Nelson...
1989 750iL
1975 2002