Re: STATE FARM INS./ POLICY CHANGE WITH LATEST PREM. NOTICE

> I just received by semiannual prem. notice for my M-3 (which
> actually went down) but with the typical insert with notice to
> certain policy changes such as '' THERE IS NO COVERAGE WHILE VEHICLE
> IS OPERATED IN, ENGAGED IN PRACTICE FOR, OR IS BEING PREPARED FOR
> ANY RACING OR SPEED CONTEST. THIS APPLIES WHILE THE VEHICLE IS
> OPERATED OFF PUBLIC ROADS '' *This sounds like drivers schools.

   As previous responses to this question have said, BMW CCA driver's
schools are not contests, no less SPEED constests, so there's no worry
in *our* reading of the policy.

   But what counts is your agents understanding of this.   So I
suggest you talk with him.   When I first did this (now over 10 years
ago), my agent was horrified I wanted to be covered while driving on a
race track and told me no way.   But I insisted he point out where in
the policy it would be excluded.   He couldn't and had to get back to
me after checking with the main office.   In a few days, I got a nice
letter from him saying that indeed I would be covered.  This was State
Farm.

   State Farm seems to be one of the insurance companies that will
cover you at driver's schools.  When I first thought I wouldn't be
covered by State Farm I did some shopping around for another policy;
one with which I would be covered.  Some don't cover you, even after
you insist on whether they understand it is not a speed constest.  I
found one, however, who said: "yeah, we know driver's schools, and
we'll pay 10% of your costs to attend".  Now that is an enlighted
company!   Turns out that high Exec in the company waS a SCCA racer
and he set this policy and it was communicated down to the sales
agents.   As the agent explained, the company is at higher risk the
one or two days you are at the school, but the rest of the year you
are a lower risk driver.