E28 Stuff

Richard asks E28 535i suspension questions:

		Reed, I'm glad you've had good luck with the RD springs.
I'll put em in my green book   :)   What shocks do you recommend with them
and what's the ride height like?
		Has anyone had the H&R or Dinan springs for a similar period
of time to know if their good in 3 years time?  It would be great to find
out whose springs are good and whose are bad.

While I won't necessarily recommend one shock over another, there are
differences worth mentioning.  First I should say that I have Bilstein HDs
(heavy duty) in the rear and Koni Sports in front.  Why.........?

I got a great price on the Bilsteins, and, when I bought them, still wasn't
sure that I wanted to lower my car.  The HDs can be used with either stock
or shorter springs IN THE REAR, and therefore made for an easy purchase.
Actually, I kind of bought the Konis for the same reason, although I DID
lower the car with the RD sport springs.

According to Koni, their struts can be used with either spring (unlike the
Bilstein Sport) so I STILL wasn't forever locked into the stiffer suspension
if I hated it (which I don't).  Another plus is the fact that the Konis are
adjustable, from sort of (but not really) soft to quite stiff - supposedly
stiffer than the Bilstein Sport, but I don't have a direct comparison
available.

The Koni was the most expensive of the options (about $135 ea.) but I was
able to justify it to myself without too much difficulty :-)

I will say, though, that one of the two first Konis I received was
defective!  Not a very impressive start to things.  Everything had been
installed and when I went over bumps, there was a rather obvious clunking
sound coming from the front end.  The part was replaced free of charge, but
the labor was another matter.......one of the perils of mail order.

I purchased the springs in part because of the price I received on them.
They were taken off another 535, with the owner complaining that they were
just too stiff.  He was in the Northeast, so maybe....

He was a club member and represented them as basically new, which, upon
inspection once they arrrived in Seattle, they were.  He had only had them
on his car for about 3 mos.  If I had not received the price break, I
probably would have gone with the H&Rs.  They have a great reputation
worldwide and they are now located (U.S.) in the Northwest to boot!

The RDs lowered my car by about 1.25" in front and a bit less in the rear,
partly because I chose the highest perch on the shock body for better tire
clearance.  I like the look - aggressive but not slammed to the ground...

Regards,

Reed
Seattle
1985 535i