E36 Window Problem...

My driver's window does not "drop-raise" when I open and close the door.  My
mechanic says that it is a bad motor and requires total replacement - a $350
job including parts.  I think it must be a sensor or solenoid.  The window
works fine and the "one-touch" mechanism also works.  I have to lower the
window just a bit in order to close the door.  When the window is in this
position, no interior lights come on when I open and shut it.  However, if I
am in the car and raise the window all the way up and then open the door,
the lights come on.  So, I am thinking maybe a sensor in the door jam or
something.

Anyone else have this problem?  Your help is appreciated.

RobertG