///M-X5

Maybe they are watching what Mercedes is doing with their SUV.  Mercedes
just came out with a V8 version with lots of HP that is getting great
reviews.  An easy answer would be to drop an M series engine into it.
An M3 engine is smaller, cheaper, and lighter than a 5 series or M5
engine.  I doubt that they would bill this as an M car.  However, BMW
has done a poor job IMHO in communicating where the M brand is going.

As a side note I have also heard rumors that the new head of M for the
US is a suit who is wound a little to tight and was frowning on some of
M high jinks for M Day (i.e. doughnuts in the M Coupes).