Rain-x

Paul wrote:
>I have been using RainX for a few months now, and when it is freshly
applied
>it is the <gross part snipped>.
>
>However, as it loses its' effectiveness (depressingly quickly) I find it is
>gets to a stage where it is worse than nothing.

David responded:
> I have a brother-in-law that used to replace windshields for a
> living (and by the family member principle, that makes me an
> expert too, right?). He once told me that once you use rain-x
> you're pretty much doomed to have to use it forever. He gave a
> very scientific answer that of course I can't remember, or
> validate. But, it sounded good at the time.

To keep it short, Rain-x is actually a polymer coating that can only be
removed by abrasion.  If you want to the full story, check out the FAQ and
MSDS sheet at their website.  It's too long to post here.

With respect to Rain-x application on windshields, I would tend to agree
with David.  I've found that under certain circumstances, Rain-x can make
wipers chatter, and having to constantly reapply it to have it work
properly is a pain in the butt.  Unfortunately, once you've gone down that
road, it's hard to get back.  However, I still use it happily on the side
and rear windows where wiper abrasion is absent and airflow is the only aid
to keeping the windows clear.

Herman