<OT> E30 taillight configuration

I wandered around for several months convinced that I must be crazy.  You
see, I could have sworn that I had seen some E30's with a different
taillight configuration than mine. Today, however, I finally realized that
I'm not insane, there really are (at least) two setups.  One has the
reverse lights placed vertically, and the other horizontally.  Could
someone clue me in as to when they changed it and why?  I know this is
incredibly unimportant, but I'm curious...  TIA!

Alix Sebesta
'86 325

Please excuse any poor grammar, my head is swimming in Russian...