Re: <E30> Head Gasket Leak (again)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 GreggOtt@domain.elided wrote:

<snip>
> to be coming from the pump or radiator.  It was dripping from the
> subframe however and I found a wet trail starting at the left side
> of the head gasket about 4 inches from the back of the block.  I
> have never seen a head gasket fail like this.  In my experience, the
> failure usually results in water in oil or water in the cylinders.
> Anyone have any experience here?

 I just had my E30 325iC ('93) head gasket replaced at 49k miles.  It
was leaking oil just enough to be considered a nuisance, making a mess
down there anyway.  Good ol' extended warranty covered the job, as
well as the new oil pan gasket, which was leaking even worse.
 They said that there was a small wrinkle in the gasket that let the
oil seep out.  I imagine the same sort of wrinkle in a different place
would let coolant out too.  They also said that BMW has made many
improved parts for our older cars, including head gaskets and valve
cover gaskets.  I don't know how many "many" means, but perhaps BA
could comment on the quality of the existing and "improved" OE
parts...

- --
  John Bolhuis  | Since announcing concubine auditions in April,
 bolhuijo       | I have received not a single reply. Foolish females!
  @domain.elided | Do you not realize that I am one of the richest and