Cold air to the filter (or, MKIAI still)

mark kibort still has a barely bullshit-believable knowledge of
automobilia:

>Subject: Cold air to the filter or longer tubes means pressure drops
hmmmmm
>>Subject: E30 - Running cold air to air filter...

>engine
>bay you may have some hotter air,but I think your model had a filter
box
>that
>also draws air from the engine compartment.

TRANSLATED: I've never seen an E30 except in pictures so there's no
way I'd know that the fresh intake air is drawn from behind the
headlight and mostly unaffected by underhood engine air temperature.

>Anyway, you have just reduce=
>a major pressure drop on the intake , and I dont think the increased
heat=

>you are drawing
>will off set it .

TRANSLATED: Even though that sentence makes no sense, it is obvious
that I have little idea of the fact that underhood heated air intake
temp dramatically reduces performance.

>Probably not as most dyno runs see a 5hp gain for changing out the
stock =
>airbox and replacing it as you did.  =

TRANSLATED: I am victim of marketing who does not understand that all
K&N "dyno runs" are done with the hood up so that cold air is drawn
in, unrelated to the real world situation of sucking hot air.  The
only way to make a K&N cone filter slightly effective is with a heat
shield.

>If you make the tube longer , this has the same effect as making the
tube=
>SMALLER.

TRANSLATED: I have no concept of "intake tuning" where longer tubes
increase air velocity... the whole concept behind the
variable-intake-length VANOS system.  But since that's a BMW, it's
obvious I wouldn't understand it.

>So, my advice, keep it the way it is, or get an eRAM that will raise
you
>pressure =

TRANSLATED: I have proved that I cannot resist the temptation to be an
IDIOT and bring up my worthless hair dryer device.

Welty, why the hell are you letting kibort continue to pollute the
Digest?

- - MKIAI