E30 - trunk sealed too tight for bass - what to cut?

Hi all!
A while back I recall someone who said that they had "been there, done that"
for getting bass out of an E30 trunk.  If I could remember who it was, I
would have emailed directly.  Anyway my question:  I assume you have to let
the trunk breathe into the passenger compartment, but how do you determine
how big of a hole (or many smaller holes) you need.  Is it simply taking the
area of the driver and relating that to the size of hole to cut.  Also, is
it better to vent through the parcel shelf or behind the seat.  I have a 15"
MTX in there currently that fires towards the rear, in a sealed box (as per
manufacturers specs).  My only concern is structural rigidity.  I will not
cut any thing if the cars handling will suffer.  (I fell in love with the
car first, then the idea of better tunes!)

Thanks
Will
90 325i (off the road for winter, and time for adding stuff)
BMW CCC member