Cold air to the filter or longer tubes means pressure drops hmmmmm

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>Subject: E30 - Running cold air to air filter...

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has modified or has bright ideas on how to get
colder air to the air filter.. I have fitted a K&N cone type air filter
to my car, but have noticed that the air it is sucking in is very warm,
as there isn't much room on the right hand side of the engine( Facing
the car).. Has anyone made a good shield from the engine or found a good
way to run cold air to it, other than running the filter on the left
hand side which I would imagine wouldn't be to efficient as there would
a much longer air hose from the filter to the engine..

Cheers<

engine
bay you may have some hotter air,but I think your model had a filter box
that
also draws air from the engine compartment.  Anyway, you have just reduce=
a major pressure drop on the intake , and I dont think the increased heat=

you are drawing
will off set it .
Probably not as most dyno runs see a 5hp gain for changing out the stock =

airbox and replacing it as you did.  =

If you make the tube longer , this has the same effect as making the tube=

SMALLER.
If you make any bends in the tube, yes,  you got it, it makes the tubes
seem smaller.

So, my advice, keep it the way it is, or get an eRAM that will raise you
pressure =

by 1psi going to the engine, and you can make a longer tube and grab cold=
er
air.
(eRAM is .5psi and relieves .5psi of pressure drop in most intakes for 5%=

hp gain)

Without some type of forced air system, better to leave that sleeping dog=

lay.

Mark Kibort
ww.innoventions.org