<all> Rear View Mirror Remove & Replace - How to Replace???

I ordered a cool M3 rear view mirror for my e30 from James Clay (thanks,
James), and in the excitment of its arrival popped the existing rear view
mirror out of its mount prematurely and now am having a helluva time
getting either mirror back in.

There are two spring loaded pins that appear to be the retaining mechanism,
and it also appears that brute force might be the way to get the mirror to
remount, but I wanted to check prior to breaking something!

Any hints appreciated.

Chris Baisley
Vancouver, B.C.
1989 e30 325i Bronzite