E-28 535i Heater!

Now that winter is here.....  the heater/ac in my '88 535i  works but it
doesn't.  I don't believe it is a heater control valve problem -- correct
me if I'm wrong!

With the temperature dial in any position, and the three slide controls in
any position, constant cold air blows from each side of the console.  The
fresh air control will just not close.  When the center slide control is
moved from side-to-side, it momentarily closes, the cold air stops, then
opens again and your knees are frozen.  I cannot find a good explanation in
the Bentley, so I thought I'd write before tearing it apart!  Anybody with
any ideas?

Please reply to me at laytonc@domain.elided

Thank you!

Layton Chauvin