<E30> Head Gasket Leak

Greetings Digesters,

I have an interesting problem with my 89 325i.  I noticed some coolant on the
garage floor the other day (small amount, not enough for the coolant light to
come on) and went searching for the leak.  I recently replaced the timing belt
and water pump and expected it to be coming from the pump or radiator.  It was
dripping from the subframe however and I found a wet trail starting at the
left side of the head gasket about 4 inches from the back of the block.  I
have never seen a head gasket fail like this.  In my experience, the failure
usually results in water in oil or water in the cylinders.  Anyone have any
experience here?

I am expecting the parts on Thursday and am going to start the work.  The car
has only 77K mi on it and I am also wondering if I should work the valves
while I have it off.  I would not think that they would need attention yet.
Once again, any comments?

TIA, Gregg