E30. Limited Slip Differential Vs Open Differential in the snow.

I have the good fortune of owning two BMWs - a 1988 325 is (with LSD) and =
a 1989 325 iC (without LSD).

Since this is the first season that I've actually been in the US for the =
winter (I usually escape to India), I thought I'd post my experiences with =
the two kinds of differentials to the Digest.

The LSD is good at getting the car out of certain kinds of snow where at =
least on wheel has decent grip and the open diff pretty much has to be =
pushed.  The LSD has much greater tendency to lose the tail.  The open =
diff is much more stable directionally.

I explain this as follows:

When stuck the LSD prevents the power from going to the slipping wheel.  =
Traction is hence as good as the best wheel.  You knew this.  When =
starting from a stop light or something, the LSD 'breaks' the hold of the =
wheels on the road and the tail moves about quite a bit.  The open diff =
'breaks' the traction on one of the wheels, but the other one is left =
tracking and keeps the car on track.

No doubt, with some skill you could drive the LSD much better, but on the =
whole, I prefer the car without LSD.  Much easier to control directionally =
on the side streets that do not get cleaned up.

On a side note, I drove a '94 525i with ASC the other day and was pretty =
impressed by the car and the ASC.  I'm thinking of getting one in 6 months =
time, perhaps a 535i with 5-speed.

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 is
1989 325 iC