E30. Convertible Window Replacement.

Has anyone out there ever replaced the window on an E30 convertible =
without replacing the entire top?

Aggressive deicing with a sharp scraper by a friend punched a hole in my =
convertible window!

I'm told there are two types of windows.  The difference being in the way =
they are fitted to the top - one is more easily removable than the other.  =
Were there also two types of top?  I have a 1989 with a one layer top.

The window looks like it could be easy to cut from a sheet of plastic.  =
Anyone know what plastic it is?  There is one line of stiching that should =
not be too difficult to do since the stiffness of the window would help =
with the tensioning.  Any ideas about how to do this?

Has anyone tried adding a zip-in glass widow?  I wonder if this could be =
done.  One could simply zip it out when folding the top down and zip it in =
after raising the top or zip in a plastic window in the summer and keep =
the glass one in the winter.

Thanks.

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 is