Re: Anyone have loose belts? >>>>> L200247

Lisa,

It sounds like one of your accessory belts is worn.  As they age, the
rubber becomes hard and glazed, and no longer provides enough friction
on the drive pulleys to rotate them properly.  So, the pulley ends up
spinning faster than the belt rotates, resulting in that wonderful
squeal.

If one belt is worn, you should probably replace all of them, since they
are usually in the same condition.  I'm not sure how many belts your
2002 has, but my '85 318i (4-cylinder also) has:

1) Alternator belt
2) Power steering belt
3) Air conditioner belt

Make sure to have the belts replaced with good quality belts (from the
dealer or a reputable shop).  Don't go to AutoZone/Pep Boys/Trak Auto
etc, since the belts that they sell are crap and don't fit properly.

I tried to save money by getting belts from one of the above, and they
began squealing again after one year.  I replaced them with the correct
belts from a reputable dealer, and they've been on the car for 3-4 years
not without any problems.  I believe that I paid around $30 for the
three belts from the dealer, versus $15 or so from Trak Auto, so the
extra expense was worth it.

BTW, if your belts get soaked with antifreeze (leaking radiator, leaking
water pump, etc), the antifreeze tends to harden the rubber and shorten
the life of the belts, too.  So, if you have (or have had) one of the
above-mentioned leaks, you should replace the belts AFTER getting the
leak(s) repaired.  Ask me how I know.....

Good luck!

- -rb