re: reprogramming digital odometers

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 Sue Kraft <suzym3@domain.elided> Wrote:
Subject: reprogramming digital odometers

>I thought digital odometers could only be reprogrammed by an authorized
>dealer.  I found a device called the DiaProg Compact (www.megachip.de)
>that claims to be able to reprogram most digital odometers, including
>those used on most  BMWs. Does anyone know if this thing really works?

>Suzy Kraft
>97 M3 Turbo

Suzy,

I'm sorry to have to say that these things do really work. They range from
about $700 to $1200 bucks, and do function as advertised. The part that I'm
sorry about is that they are advertised as to only be used for 'legal
purposes', however most people that purchase them, use them for illegal
purposes.
This really ticks me off, because I'm a strong believer in purchasing well
maintained previously driven automobiles. I would hate to think that
someone would lease a '97 vehicle, drive it far beyond the allowed mileage,
and instead of taking a, for example, $4,000 hit; they purchase said item
and 'roll back the mileage'. So along comes me, and I think I'm buying a
low mileage car, I'm paying the price for a low mileage car, but I'm
getting a car that has an altered odometer. Now, I'm not saying that you or
others don't have a legitimate use for this device, but it just scares me
that such a powerful device is available to anyone/everyone with a credit
card. I sure hope that anyone that does use such a device to get a better
trade in value on their car, gets caught and is punished to the fullest
extent of the law.

- - Chip