2002 purchase...what to look for?

My fifteen year old son and I are shopping for a 2002 project car ( he'll be driving in two years,
and I thought a restoration project would be a good way of instilling some respect for what he'll
be driving)...we're going to be looking at a '76 2002, and we'd appreciate advice on what to look
for, re rust ( I recall reading about rear shock towers and fenderwells? )and severe mechanical
foibles  .

Thanks in advance,

Mike Capaldo

97 528i 5 speed
96 454 Suburban ( 400 ft lbs of torque  - same as the new M5! )
98 Chrysler Sebring Convert - STILL waiting for Daimler Chrysler to mail me my three pointed star,
now that the merger's gone through
and - ??? maybe a 76 2002 project car