<E36 M3> Over-rev... have I done it?

Digesters... I'm very worried ..and I need some advice.

Merging into the freeway this morning, I'm heading toward the top of 3rd
gear.  The revs may have been slightly north of 6k (don't really remember,
I was trying to merge).  I upshift to (what I thought was) 4th...

..and suddenly, the M3 slows considerably,  the motor screams... and 7.5+
shows on the tach.  At least 75 shows on the speedo.  I think had almost
let the clutch out when I caught this.

WHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAA -SH#$!

Into 5th, I go.. and leap into the right lane.  Engine sounds fine.  No
noises... no vibrations... no loss of power.  I get into the parking lot at
work and I pop the hood.. and nervously scan the engine bay.  Everything
appears to be fine to my untrained eyes..  sounds okay to my untrained
ears.  Car revs smoothly, motor doesn't twist and shake in its mounts.

Did I accidentally get 2nd and over revved my M3?

If so... what should I do?  If I can't seem to detect any
damage/anomalies... does that mean everything is okay??  Will/can engine
damage occur this way?

I feel like such an idiot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Chiang
'95 ///M3
A little wild-eyed and nervous this morning