RE: Power Steering Fluid Change

	Since I could not email Adnan directly (msg bounced), I will send
this to the Digest hoping someone will prove me wrong.

	I am about to undertake the same project on my '89 325i (different
car/engine, but the cars should share the same Dextron II ATF power steering
fluid). My reservoir is also leaking (more like sweating) the fluid through
connections to the hoses. The clamps are the usual suspects, but they look
to be non adjustable.
	My Bentley manual for E30's claims that the power steering system is
non-drainable and that I should use only the same Dextron II ATF fluid to
fill up if the fluid is leaking. I had seen Mobil synthetic ATF fluid in
stores, but have so far been reluctant to add it unless I can drain the
existing dirty looking (black) 10 year old ATF fluid.
	To paraphrase Adnan's questions:
can the existing power steering fluid be drained?
if not, what's the expected life span of the PS hoses (should I consider
changing them with the clamps)?
are synthetic/dyno power steering fuels mixable?
is there any advantage to synthetic?

	If anyone knows the answers to the above questions please let me
know. If anyone has already emailed the answers to Adnan, please send me a
copy.
TIA,
alex

Alexander Fadeev