Re: bmw-digest V9 #824

Here's some snow tire recommendations for someone who has lived in the
Great White North - Canada! all his life!  If you are going to be driving
in snow all or most of the time, i.e. you don't live in a big city with
good snow removal, go for hard core snow tires like, Nokia's, Toyo's, Yoko
Guardex, Bridgestone Blizzaks.  All these tires have an aggressive tread
block pattern for snow.  Bridgestone and Guardex are better in ice than
Toyo and Nokia.  For pure all snow performance go with the thinnest tires
you can get, on my E36 I have 205 on 16" rims, but I would even go thinner
on 15" rims, like 195 or 185. Put about 100lbs of sand over the rear wheels
and you will really track.   Of course the dry performance will really
suck.  The only "snow" tire with decent dry performance is the Pirelli 210,
but don't expect as good snow performance as the others. I hear the new
Michelin Artic Alpin is good in snow and decent in the dry.  If you have
dry/wet, slushy pavement most of the time, don't bother with the pure snow
tires.  Even consider performance all-season tires that will give you
decent slush performance, if that's the most you will be driving on...the
key to all this and tire selection is what will you be actually DRIVING on
most of the time?  Even if it snows in the area you live, are the streets
well cleared so that most of the time you are driving on slush/wet/dry and
not pure snow?

Glen Chow
BMWCCC, BMWCA

owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided (bmw-digest) on 01/12/99 03:39:13 PM