Re: 2002 Replacement

I posted a similar thread about a month ago saying BMW had forgotten
the <$30k crowd in terms a sports car.

The 2002 replacement probably would need to sell in the $18-26k range to be
successful.

BMW hasn't proven they can be competitive in that range with a sports car.
The competition is too fierce.  You can pick up a new Integra Type R for
$26k
(available in Black or white this year).  The Z3 coupe is close, but just
too heavy
(>3000lbs for coupe vs ~2,600 for Integra).

It used to be said the German labor rates (including fixed burden) was 3x
as high as
its U.S. counterparts.   The U.S. factory helped with that, but there is
still a manufacturing cost
issue.

Besides, I believe BMW just doesn't have the R&D resources right now with
all its other projects to do it right.

Guess we'll have to wait another 3-5 years.

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30 "LTW" (2,600 lbs.. 242hp)
'95 Integra GS-R (wife's daily driver and school car) 185hp now, 2,615lbs
'98 Explorer - tow vehicle for BMW-heavy as a elephant

End of bmw-digest V9 #815