Re: Reading MIME with AOL (HELP)

Hi John,

I can't help you with your specific problem, but I would like to take the
opportunity to point something out about AOL. If you're not really into
Internet stuff and things you may not be aware of this.

AOL is not very good. Really. The people they target aren't in to computers
and Internet. Instead, they aim at people new to the Internet and people
who don't know and maybe don't want to know a lot about computers.

There is nothing wrong with that in itself, instead it seems good to make
the Internet accessible.

The problem is that AOL tends to limit people, and that AOL users tend to
be unaware of that.

For example, AOL software kind of "hides" things on the Internet. Instead
of teaching you how things really work and teaching you real software,
things are presented more easily. As a result of this, it happens for
instance that AOL users angrily write messages a Usenet newsgroup saying
that people aren't talking about what their AOL program says they should be
talking about.

This has gotten to the point where by many people on the big Internet, AOL
users are despised. As soon as people see @domain.elided, they assume you're a
clueless idiot and you're going to yell. People think "Assholes On Line".
Of course you might be a little clueless, but not necessarily an idiot. I
know for a fact that there are several people on AOL who are friendly and
funny and smart. Computers geeks, no, but the other things, sure.

Another problem with AOL is that they censor web pages. If you write about
sex, for instance, they'll probably remove your web pages, especially if
you're gay.

Anyone who reads this and uses AOL, I seriously recommend that you find a
real Internet provider. In general, people on the Internet are more eager
to help you out. They can help you find an Internet provider and they can
help you set up software. And many Internet providers have CD ROM's that
make it easy for you to install their software, as well as help desk people
who will help you out.

AOL is giant, but that doesn't mean they're good. It might instead say
something about the average person.

Oh, for BMW content: AOL is *not* the BMW of the Internet. What kind of car
of the Internet is AOL? How about SUV?

Good luck! Get on the Internet the real way!

Michiel

At 08:54 PM 1/10/99 EST, Im4BMW@domain.elided wrote:
>I could sure use some help from you "computer literate" Digest members.
Is it
>just me or does America Online purposely make it "difficult" to read MIME
>encoded mail?
>
>I have tried and tried and tried to download MIME decoding programs that
>simply do nothing...absolutely nothing! and I'm really frustrated!  Ok, I'm
>plain dumb when it comes to such things!
>
>I've had many digestors e-mail me with pics of their cars, etc. and if
it's in
>MIME format...forget it..I can't open the file!  I've visited the FAQ's re:
>MIME decoding, RFC 822, RFC 2045, etc. but you know what? I don't do this
>stuff for a living...it is NOT easy to understand ...I just want to view the
>damn files!
>
>What is it with AOL ?...their tech reps. can't even help...it must be a
>"proprietary" (i.e. money) thing, right?
>
>Anyway, any help from someone that has solved this puzzle, and has AOL would
>you please "enlighten  me"?  I have some pics of cool cars that I'd really
>like to look at.
>
>Thanks for the bandwidth,
>
>John Weese
>BMW CCA #76646