dyno tests of the eRAM

Message text written by Land Shark
>(a bunch of stuff about the ERAM)

 Mark if you want real numbers.. go buy a wattmeter
 and place it in circuit with your ERAM.

 Then record the power drain.. DURING a test

start up amperage
and running amperage.   as a surprise, the startup amperage was lower  as=

the spoolup time =

being greatly reduced due to the air already moving passed the fan.   30
amps , almost dead on.

 Then get back to us... the results, I'm sure are
 going to surprize you!
 In both tests, you can't really determine the
 drain, as the eRAM will drink power from the =

 battery until the battery is below XX.X volts
 at which time the alternator charges and only
 THEN does it require the power from the engine!
If I remember the car electrical system correctly, (correct me if Im wron=
g)
but doesnt the =

alternator act on voltage drop from the battery, so that under high curre=
nt
loads, the alternator kicks in =

to keep the voltage at or close to 12.5 or 13 volts? =

Anyway we used a very small battery that was installed in the 911.  =

voltage drop was big when tested without the car running
as it was only a 100 amp hour battery.   Our runs were right after one
another with no Idle time but on the 4rd and 5th run, they were carbon
copies of the 3rd , albiet that the on time of the fan is only about 15
seconds.  On the race track that gives you acceleration from 60 to 120 mp=
h =

a couple of times in one lap over 2 min period, for 10 laps.  On my video=
s,
i have a LED light that goes on when the fans are on( WOT)
on a typical lap at laguna or sears point, even a fast track like
Thunderhill , or buttonwillow, it is only on for 20 to 35 seconds  total =
lap

.

 Ditto on the separate battery test.

 If you start thinking of current as "water" and
 a battery as a full city water tank, you'll get the
 picture.

 I've come to the conclusion that while you mean no
 harm, you simply don't get how a cars charging =

 system works.. the battery acts like a big "capacitor"
 in the system and you can take HUGE drains for a few
 seconds without feeling them "now" .. you only feel
 them when the charge occurs
the batter taking on the high current drains and the alternator just slow=
ly
putting
the current back in at  lower current draw times or (lower voltage times)=

 (I guess this makes a battery like a credit card ;)

 The other way to do it is to use a batteryless car,
 but that would be VERY BAD with all the electronics
 which havent been hardened.. so a wattmeter is the
 way to go!

or so , the voltage drop under a 30 amp load went down to 10.5 volts
on a 2 amp hour nicad pack, it went down to 9.5 for the same nominal
voltage.
obviously, the lead acid battery  can handle the current draw better. =

under an alternator,
the voltage didnt drop that much, hence the .5 to .75 hp drop on the dyno=
.

thanks for your reply
Mark

 Jim