haunted steering column

Lately the steering wheel of my 89 535 (118k) has started to groan mightily
during driving--especially in tight turning situations like parking. There's
no increased effort in tuning that I can tell, only much more noise. I have
17" OZ modulars on the car, and am concerned some hardware is taking a
beating.

Does anyone have a fix on this and the possible cost of repair? (I was hoping
a can of WD40 would help but begin to think that's unrealistic).  Thanks for
any and all opinions.

Blake
89 535 i(s) 5 spd, RD headers, triflow exhaust, bilsteined, RD springs, Dinan
chip
93 525 i auto