320 engine options

Volunteered to float this question for a co-worker who has a 320i:  The
4 banger is beginning to burn oil, but the rest of the car seems sound
enough for another 100k.  So what is the most cost effective way to
resolve the worn cyl. condition?

Remanufactured short block?
Bore existing block?
What simple performance increases are typically done at same time
(larger cyl. bore)?

Less seriously he asked if there might be an engine upgrade transplant
that might be practical, ie 6 cylinder.  I said I would ask about that
too, although I got a clue this morning when a same series 323 (front
badge = graymarket) went by me here in Portland.  Sure enough the Ken
Gross BMW Buyer Guide indicates that a 2 liter or 2.3 liter 6 was sold
in Europe.  Does anyone know if there is a practical conversion package
to do this or is it too involved w/ injection controls, exhaust, cooling
....etc. changes?

TIA

Steve Poland
'88 535is