<MISC> re.- General scientific question

In Digest V9 #803, Michael Bird wrote (quoting someone elses "=" signs):

> Someone whose name I won't mention (because we cert=
> ainly don't want to sta=rt getting a bunch of stuff ab=ut it...) posted a
> diatribe about ram scoops

Michael, average air pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI. I would guess that what
Mark is saying in his almost incomprehensible fashion is that these scoops
generate an incremental .35 or .85 PSI (over baseline atmospheric pressure), in
other words, not much boost. In terms that the meteorologists use, sea level
air pressure is equal to 1013.25 millibars or almost exactly 1 bar.

Most motors with positive pressure intake systems run at 1.2-2 bar (a range of
about 3PSI to 15PSI above mean atmospheric pressure). I would think most
streetable motors with turbos or superchargers would be more or less in the
3-10PSI range.

Chris Blumenthal
'95 M3
'97 M3/4